Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Being a Dad

There is not a single job in world more rewarding than being a father, nay, a dad. I had a great role model who had the best moral principles and continues to influence my life now that I have a family of my own. Sure, we fought and fight like bitter enemies, at times. But the one thing I can always count on is dad's love. There, I've let the cat out of the bag. The glue that binds is love. Sounds cliche'? Too bad, get over it. Love conquers all. The bad things and bad times are washed away as soon as they are in existence.

I am glad you are reading this and hope to keep your interest as I go, but this is for no person more than for myself. It really is quite cathartic, to say the least. Kids can really tick you off. All the whining and bickering and not doing what you know they are supposed to be doing. But that is what's great about being a kid. You get a whole bag slap full of "do-overs". The worst thing I can imagine is having been made to keep all my transgressions around for me to look at every minute of every day. Don't get me wrong, my dad can still remember when I took a spoon out of the drawer, age 4, and left it in the yard after searching for buried treasure that I knew had to be there (but wasn't). He remembers and picks the truly wrong occasions to remind me of them but there is always the overriding factor of love.

We, my parents and my wife and children, tell each other we love each other constantly. You know what? I never get tired of hearing it or saying it. I feel quite sad for the kids I grew up with who had ignorant parents who never told them they were loved. How horrible must that feel to never hear from you folks that they love you? It gives me the shivers. Is it really any mystery that there are so many miscreants around. I would like to do a study one day to find out the pervcentage of people that are incarcerated who never were told they were loved. I dont know the number but I bet it is a fairly large one.

No comments:

Post a Comment